[Ads-l] newly "offensive" term

Chris Waigl chris at LASCRIBE.NET
Tue Feb 13 21:10:50 UTC 2018

I don't have much patience for "offensive" as an absolute category. (To the
racist, the expectation to treat people of color equally is offensive,
therefore the term is not a good marker of a moral status.) However, "chain
migration" instantly stood out to me as falling into the category of words
from a totalitarian ideology, as would also be obvious to anyone in your
typical German 10th grade (or thereabouts) unit on the language of
totalitarianism. (Such a unit is, of course, not meant to teach linguistics
but rhetoric - the ability to recognize, classify and evaluate metaphors,
figurative language, connotations and the use of language to manipulate).

A neutral description of the phenomenon in neutral terms would refer to
family reunification. An analysis would include the dimension of human
rights (the protection of family life) and/or pragmatic terms (selection of
immigrants that have already support structures in place). A statistician
or quantitative anthropologist might talk about tree structures and
migration patterns. "Chain migration", on the surface, selects categories
that activate fears ("being forced to be overrun by immigrants" and the
like).

The added layer of connotation in a country where a substantial part of the
non-white population indeed descends from people who were forcefully
"migrated" in literal chains adds another layer of meaning (you might call
it something between clumsy and detestable, depending how much you are
inclined to excuse the speaker's infelicities) that necessarily must
resonate with some more than with others. For me, it's secondary to my
immediate objection to the expression.

Chris

Chris Waigl . chris.waigl at gmail.com . chris at lascribe.net
http://eggcorns.lascribe.net . http://chryss.eu