[Ads-l] newly "offensive" term

Chris Waigl chris at LASCRIBE.NET
Tue Feb 13 22:29:24 UTC 2018

Hi Peter,

On Tue, Feb 13, 2018 at 1:25 PM, Peter Reitan <pjreitan at hotmail.com> wrote:

> "Instantly stood out"?

​Yes, that's what I wrote. Is it unclear?​

> Because it couldn't possibly mean that one person lets in one close
> relative, who then lets in another close relative, who then lets in an
> in-law, who then lets in someone three degrees removed from the first
> person - like a series of links in a chain.

​No, it couldn't mean that, for two reasons. The first is that the figure
that accompanied the term was that of a tree structure. The Nazi term
Überfremdung sprang to mind; second, because that's not how immigration
works.

And even if it "meant" that on some literal level, there's connotation and
rhetorical value.

Chris
unclear what your point is TBH​