[Ads-l] newly "offensive" term

Chris Waigl chris at LASCRIBE.NET
Fri Feb 16 01:19:11 UTC 2018

On Thu, Feb 15, 2018 at 2:22 PM, Peter Reitan <pjreitan at hotmail.com> wrote:

> NPR correspondent, Tom Gjelten, who recently published a book outlining
> the history of American immigration policy, offered a non-defensive,
> non-aggressive justification of his use of "chain migration" throughout the
> book:
>

> From a transcript of an interview on Morning Edition:
>

> INSKEEP: What exactly is chain migration?
>
> GJELTEN: Well, when an immigrant comes here legally and  ultimately
> becomes a U.S. citizen, he or she has the right to bring  family members
> along behind, not just spouses or children, but parents,  even adult
> siblings and their spouses. And in time, those people can, of  course, then
> bring in their relatives, so one immigrant coming here  legally can set in
> motion a whole migration chain. And actually, this is  how about two-thirds
> of all legal immigrants moving to this country  come in now.
>
> INSKEEP: Well, let me just ask you, Tom, if I say chain  migration, it
> sounds kind of bad, kind of unsavory, but can I call the  very same thing
> family reunification?
>
> GJELTEN: You can. You know, in my book that you referenced, I'd  used the
> term chain migration throughout the book because I just thought  it was a
> descriptive pattern.
> [END]

​Sooo, and after your "end", Gjelten continues a little bit. (Emphasis
mine.)

GJELTEN: You can. You know, in my book that you referenced, I'd used the
term chain migration throughout the book because I just thought it was a
descriptive pattern.* You can say it in a neutral way or you can say it -
it all depends on context and tone. When President Trump says it's
horrible, you know, that sounds pretty bad.*
​The point was never that no one ever used the term with a value-neutral
intention or in a non-pejorative sense: obviously, it has been used this
way. Mostly at low volume by sociologists and wonks, who handle a lot of
terms that, when looked at closely, are maybe not completely ideally
selected - jargon is that way. When it showed up in the widely visible
policy debates, it's also been criticized for badly representing the
underlying reality (of family networks lending useful, though sometimes
limiting, structure to immigration trends). But some found it suitably
neutral to use in books, fine. (I'd also be highly unsurprised to learn it
has been an underground hate term for natalists and xenophobes for a while,
but we haven't seen examples of this.) The point is that its use, by some
of the most powerful and most widely amplified speakers has been in a way
to link it with ideologically charged negative visions of immigration, and
it was clearly understood as such by those hostile to immigration in
general, including the racist natalist strata (who cheer at the "Norway
better than shithole nations in Africa" trope).

It seems completely clear to me who won out - just do a Google Image
search, or a Twitter search, or sift through any of the other firehoses
that concentrate part of US social sentiment: it's all about masses of dark
bodies pressing their way into a helpless country (sometimes assisted by
perfidious Democrats). So even though the underlying reality has in the
past, or is in parts of the population, flavored positive (because, if X is
a sutiable immigrant, than their sibling might be, too, and anyhow, that
sibling would start out in the new country with a support structure already
in place - win-win!), this potential connotation was swept away by the use
the term has been put to on the right. Also, it's not really surprising,
because in its administrative flavorlessness, combined with the word
"chain" that in itself leans more to the negatively than the positively
connoted side, the term "chain migration" seems to me much more likely to
be latched on as a focal point of rejection rather than acceptance.

For the third time, I think: these connotations aren't inherent in the term
- as Gjelten says, too, it's a property of the term in context. In a
different time and place, say, a country in which immigration isn't a
hotspot of populist sentiment, but as boring as the regulations about beef
provenance labeling, I could totally see the term to be used as boring,
descriptive jargon. But that would be cloud-cuckoo-la-la-land.

As for the US, are you seriously surprised that, seeing a bunch of vaguely
threatening white people yell "stop chain migration"  in the direction of
random brown people, African-Americans point out that they'd rather not
hear the word "chain" associated with "migration" out of the mouths of such
anti-immigration activists? (No, in cloud-cuckoo-la-la-land that wouldn't
happen either - people there will just think of chains of neurotransmitters
hopping from synapse to synapse when they hear "chain migration".)
​

> The piece may be interesting to people following this thread.  Gjelten
> describes a surprising origin of "family reunification" policy, sometimes
> called "chain migration".
>
> https://www.npr.org/2018/01/11/577279617/what-does-chain-
> migration-mean-we-get-an-explanation
>

> But without debating immigration policy, I think one problem in the
> discussion up to now is that I may not know what "pejorative" means, or
> what other people mean when they say it.

​You're subsequently going off on a really steep tangent here. I was the
one who questioned your use of (not) pejorative, after you said that
someone (AILA) "does call it a 'myth' designed to scare people, but that's
not the same as being perjorative" and I remarked (I paraphrase) that words
designed in dishonest ways ("myth") to scare people would fall under
"pejorative" for me. I'm thinking for example of calling Jewish people
well-poisoners, or another thread the example posted by Ben Zimmer, about
the origin of "bulldozer" (a word that has lost its pejorative and racist
connotation, as far as I can tell).

Given all the above, it seems to me that you, and a few other ADS-L people,
think that those of us who think of policies that offer opportunities to
apply for an immigrant status in positive terms (either from a human-rights
POV, or based on sociological arguments, or just because it feels like good
and humane policy) should just pretend as if we were in a completely
different historical time and place, acknowledge that in
cloud-cuckoo-la-la-land there is a chance "chain migration" could find
widespread use as a boring, slightly misshapen descriptive term for a
vaguely beneficial sociological fact, ignore the term's use as a weapon in
the propaganda struggle waged by natalist & racist anti-immigrant activists
and treat it as a neutral term, even though in real life, here and now, it
clearly isn't? Why? As far as I'm concerned, it can burn in the fires of
hell.

Chris Waigl

Chris Waigl . chris.waigl at gmail.com . chris at lascribe.net
http://eggcorns.lascribe.net . http://chryss.eu