[Ads-l] Rothschild Quote

James A. Landau JJJRLandau at NETSCAPE.COM
Mon Feb 19 00:28:35 UTC 2018

Pm Sat, 17 Feb 2018 15:27:23 Zone - 0500   Garson O'Toole <adsgarsonotoole at GMAIL.COM> wrote in reply to Fred Shapiro:
Subject: Re: Rothschild Quote

If "the streets of Paris are running with blood" then I suspect it was Jacques Rothschild (aka James Mayer de Rothschild, 1792 - 1868), who ran the Paris branch of the Rothschild business in the first half of the 19th Century, and who saw the street fighting in 1830 and 1832.  All the Rothschild branches except London had a chance to witness the Revolutions of 1848 close up.  I doubt that the Paris branch had much chance to do business during the Paris Commune.

- Jim Landau

Garson O'Toole wrote:

The Wikipedia entry for John D. Rockefeller has an attribution to
Rockefeller in 1990.

The Dictionary of Modern Proverbs has an entry for "Buy when (the)
blood is running in the streets" with a 1964 attribution to Rothschild
(no first name).

I can only do a quick search right now, but I see interesting earlier
citations in the early 1900s. Some cites claim the advice was given
during the Paris commune in 1871. A 1921 "Sunset Magazine" citation
credits Anselm Rothschild. I will try to search some more when I get a
chance.