[Ads-l] Pablo Picasso anecdote echoes a tale from the life of James McNeill Whistler

Tue Jan 16 06:30:04 UTC 2018

Back in March 2017 I initiated a thread about an anecdote called:
"Knowing where to tap". Neal Whitman made a comment that led me to
explore an analogous story concerning Pablo Picasso. Recently, on
twitter Bonnie Taylor-Blake participated in a thread that mentioned
the Picasso tale. The Quote Investigator website now has an entry
about this topic:

"But you did that in thirty seconds." "No, it has taken me forty years
to do that."
https://quoteinvestigator.com/2018/01/14/time-art/

[Begin acknowledgement]
Great thanks to Neal Whitman whose analogous tale about a logo created
with a few strokes led QI to initiate work on this topic. Further
thanks to Bonnie Taylor-Blake, Josh Kramer, and Janice Chu whose
tweets about the Picasso anecdote led QI to finish formulating this
question and performing this exploration. Additional thanks to
discussants Dan Goncharoff, Wilson Gray, and James A. Landau.
[End acknowledgement]

Many years before the Picasso tale there was a pertinent incident in
the life of James McNeill Whistler.

“Oh, two days! The labour of two days, then, is that for which you ask
two hundred guineas!” “No;—I ask it for the knowledge of a lifetime.”
https://quoteinvestigator.com/2018/01/12/lifetime/

Feedback welcome
Garson