[Ads-l] "It's always easy to Monday-morning-quarterback a situation."

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Wed Jan 17 19:37:28 UTC 2018

HDAS does indeed have an entry for the verb, but allow me to Monday morning
quarterback it a bit.

_Monday morning quarterback_ v. Esp. _Journ._ to criticize with the benefit
of hindsight; second-guess. Hence _Monday morning quarterbacking_, n.

This seems backwards, since it's pretty clear that the noun "Monday morning
quarterbacking" is the original and the verb came about via back-formation.
HDAS takes the noun back to 1950 -- OED3 has 1946, which can be further
antedated:

_Pittsburgh Press_, Nov. 13, 1933, p. 26, col. 1
A little Monday morning quarterbacking.
https://www.newspapers.com/clip/16622411/

And as I mentioned in a bygone thread, "Sunday morning quarterbacking" goes
back even further, with cites back to 1931.

http://listserv.linguistlist.org/pipermail/ads-l/2006-July/061131.html

The first HDAS cite given for the verb "Monday morning quarterback" is from
1973. OED3 doesn't cover it, but here it is from 1948.

_Pottstown (Pa.) Mercury_, July 31, 1948, p. 1, col. 6
Local weather prophets, industriously sucking their salt pills, sat back
yesterday and Monday morning quarter-backed that July was a "scorcher."
https://www.newspapers.com/clip/16622518/

--bgz