[Ads-l] Shoulda seen it coming....

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Thu Jan 18 14:47:24 UTC 2018

That plumbing explanation is the rather implausible spin that some
Republicans have been putting on Trump's comment:

https://twitter.com/scottwongDC/status/953305502183763969
Scott Wong of The Hill: "Why are some Trump allies arguing that POTUS said
'shithouse' rather than 'shithole'? Some Rs say 'shithouse countries'
refers to poor countries w/no plumbing -- places where u have to walk out
to the shithouse -- and therefore the phrase is NOT racist."

But as I wrote for the Atlantic, "shithouse" has long been used to demean
people and places, with a general meaning of "disgusting, contemptible," so
it's in no way better than "shithole."

https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2018/01/a-linguistic-guide-to-donald-trumps-scatological-insults/550589/