[Ads-l] Shoulda seen it coming....

Baker, John JBAKER at STRADLEY.COM
Thu Jan 18 15:32:38 UTC 2018

It’s important to remember that Trump did not just characterize Haiti, El Salvador, and African countries as “shithole” or “shithouse” countries.  Either term is offensive to those countries, but by itself it can be understood as just a crude way of saying that the countries are poor places where it is unpleasant to live.  But what Trump actually said, according to the Washington Post, was “Why are we having all these people from shithole countries come here?”  In other words, he asserted that people are inherently undesirable simply because they come from those countries.  There is no sugar-coating that sentiment, even if he had said “Why are we having all these people from countries without plumbing come here?”

John Baker

From: American Dialect Society [mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Ben Zimmer
Sent: Thursday, January 18, 2018 9:47 AM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: Shoulda seen it coming....

External Email - Think Before You Click

That plumbing explanation is the rather implausible spin that some
Republicans have been putting on Trump's comment:

https://twitter.com/scottwongDC/status/953305502183763969<https://twitter.com/scottwongDC/status/953305502183763969>
Scott Wong of The Hill: "Why are some Trump allies arguing that POTUS said
'shithouse' rather than 'shithole'? Some Rs say 'shithouse countries'
refers to poor countries w/no plumbing -- places where u have to walk out
to the shithouse -- and therefore the phrase is NOT racist."

But as I wrote for the Atlantic, "shithouse" has long been used to demean
people and places, with a general meaning of "disgusting, contemptible," so
it's in no way better than "shithole."

https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2018/01/a-linguistic-guide-to-donald-trumps-scatological-insults/550589/<https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2018/01/a-linguistic-guide-to-donald-trumps-scatological-insults/550589/>

<mailto:laurence.horn at yale.edu%0b>> >