[Ads-l] Heard on the Maury show

Salikoko S. Mufwene mufw at UCHICAGO.EDU
Sat Jan 20 01:12:18 UTC 2018

Is the speaker by any chance Caribbean or from the Gullah area? And was
"does" stressed or not? If the speaker is from either of these areas and
"does" was not stressed and was pronounced with any schwa-related sound,
it may have been used as a HABIT marker.

Sali.

Salikoko S. Mufwene                    s-mufwene at uchicago.edu
The Frank J. McLoraine Distinguished Service Professor of Linguistics and the College
Professor, Committee on Evolutionary Biology
Professor, Committee on the Conceptual & Historical Studies of Science
University of Chicago                  773-702-8531; FAX 773-834-0924
Department of Linguistics
1115 East 58th Street
Chicago, IL 60637, USA
http://mufwene.uchicago.edu/