[Ads-l] Antedating of "Heterosexual" (Noun)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Jan 22 15:56:39 UTC 2018

The OED entry has these cites—

1883   Jrnl. Nerv. & Mental Dis. Apr. 200   For himself and fellow-Urnings there was nothing left but this unnatural love.
1892   C. G. Chaddock tr. R. von Krafft-Ebing Psychopathia Sexualis 255   The urning loves and deifies the male object of his affections.
1896   J. A. Symonds Probl. Mod. Ethics vii. 91   Man, Woman, and Urning—the third being either a male or a female in whom we observe a real and inborn, not an acquired or a spurious inversion of appetite.
1908   E. Carpenter Intermediate Sex 135   According to the information of De Joux..the number of Urnings in all Europe is about five millions.

—with cross-references to “Uranian” (lemma 1b, from Symonds, 1883) and “uranism” (1893).  As John says, all ultimately via Ulrich’s use of the term “Uranismus” in an anonymous 1864 publication in German. The source is apparently from a Greek epithet for Aphrodite, and not, as I’d have guessed, for some allusion to Uranus (the Greek god; no cross-linguistic pun intended).

LH