[Ads-l] Antedating of "Come Out of the Closet" (Homosexuality)

MULLINS, WILLIAM D (Bill) CIV USARMY RDECOM AMRDEC (US) william.d.mullins18.civ at MAIL.MIL
Tue Jan 23 19:01:01 UTC 2018

> come out of the closet (homosexuality) (OED 1972)
>

> 1968 _Berkeley Barb_ 15-21 Mar. 12/1 (Independent Voices)  HAY FRUITS!  Come out of the closet long enuf to attend the East Bay Gay
> Discussion Group Fridays.
>

> Fred Shapiro

It would be nigh-on impossible to search for, I suspect, but I wonder when "of the closet" started being dropped, and when "come out" started being applied to characteristics other than homosexuality ("come out as a Republican", etc.).