[Ads-l] Antedating of "Come Out of the Closet" (Homosexuality)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Jan 23 19:39:12 UTC 2018

One issue is how to fold in the metaphorical “closet”, which isn’t part of these earlier cites below.  Is it possible that there was a reanalysis involved, so that “come out” is now seen as parasitic on/truncated from “come out of the closet”, even though the historical trajectory was different?

LH