[Ads-l] to (have) got this

Barretts Mail mail.barretts at GMAIL.COM
Wed Jan 24 03:47:21 UTC 2018

A quick glance at Wiktionary, the English Oxford Living Languages and the HDAS doesn’t yield this expression. It means “will handle this challenge/problem right now."

With the third person plural and the ass pronouns, I think the ’s of “have” is obligatory, though I’m probably wrong:

s/he’s got this
my ass/your ass, etc. ’s got this

With the other persons, I think “have” is skipped:
I/you/we/you guys/they got this

The OLL does have, under “get”:
Succeed in attaining, achieving, or experiencing; obtain.

‘I need all the sleep I can get’
‘he got a teaching job in California’

Both Wiktionary and OLL (the latter cited here) have:
Respond to a ring of (a telephone or doorbell)

Benjamin Barrett
Formerly of Seattle, WA