[Ads-l] Heard on "Moonshiners"

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Wed Jan 24 09:19:56 UTC 2018

A Virginia moonshiner says jokingly to a turkey in the cab of his pickup
(long story):

"Don' be _a-doodooin'_ in my drank!"

This was the first time that I'd ever heard this term used _except_ in the
wild.  Well, reality TV may be considered as "in the wild." I guess. I have
no opinion
on the matter. OTOH, I first saw it in print in the '40's under the
spelling, _dew-dew_. I've also seen it spelled _do-do, due-due, doody,
dudy, dootie, duty_.

"Moonshiners" is a reality_TV series about the working lives of Appalachian
moonshiners in Louisiana, Kentucky, Tennessee, and Virginia.

Except for the use of _yo_ in place of _yore_ for "your" and a discussion of
the "retrofitting" of an antique still - i.e. un-"hillbilly"-like use of
the relevant technical language -  their speech is (stereo)typical: r-ful;,
use of _a-verbin'; multiple negatives; implosive /b d g/; _'is, 'at_ for
"this, that," _hit_ for "it"; intrusive /r/:"deliverin' a pizzar or nuthin";
broken, Southern-style, short vowels, but no drawl: "cow-shun" for "caw-shun,"
"my-sh" for "mash," "be-in" for "been," etc.

Oddly, the voice-overer speaks of a kind of snake "called a 'cottonmouth' by
the 'shiners. It's also known as a 'water moccasin.'" The snake is no longer
the "cottonmouth water moccasin" of my lost youth, I reckon.

--
-Wilson
-----