[Ads-l] to (have) got this

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Thu Jan 25 03:47:00 UTC 2018

> I began noticing this about ten years ago. FWIW.

I recall it from ca. 1995 both as

"I got this/that"
and
"I got you"

They both mean, "(Whatever the situation is,) you don't have to be
concerned, because the situation is under my control and (as Flip Wilson
used to say) 'I'm gon' look out for you!'" Or, as the robber said to The
Pawnbroker, in the movie, "Cool it, baby. Don't get up tight!"

On Wed, Jan 24, 2018 at 7:38 AM, Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I began noticing this about ten years ago. FWIW.
>
> JL
>
> On Tue, Jan 23, 2018 at 10:47 PM, Barretts Mail <mail.barretts at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > A quick glance at Wiktionary, the English Oxford Living Languages and the
> > HDAS doesn’t yield this expression. It means “will handle this
> > challenge/problem right now."
> >
> > With the third person plural and the ass pronouns, I think the ’s of
> > “have” is obligatory, though I’m probably wrong:
> >
> > s/he’s got this
> > my ass/your ass, etc. ’s got this
> >
> > With the other persons, I think “have” is skipped:
> > I/you/we/you guys/they got this
> >
> > The OLL does have, under “get”:
> > Succeed in attaining, achieving, or experiencing; obtain.
> >
> > ‘I need all the sleep I can get’
> > ‘he got a teaching job in California’
> >
> > Both Wiktionary and OLL (the latter cited here) have:
> > Respond to a ring of (a telephone or doorbell)
> >
> > Benjamin Barrett
> > Formerly of Seattle, WA
> >

> --

-Wilson