[Ads-l] "underdog" redux

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Fri Jan 26 19:14:12 UTC 2018

Despite other unsupported theories (like the saw-pit theory I mention in
the column), it appears that Barker's "under dog" inspired "top dog" as
well. (The original poem refers to "the dog on top.") Examples of "the top
dog in the fight" (modeled on Barker's phrasing) appear as early as 1864.

----
Boston Herald, July 2, 1864, p. 4, col. 3 [ProQuest]
But this morning Billy was the "top dog in the fight," for Tim was fined
$25 and costs.
----
Ashtabula (Ohio) Weekly Telegraph, Nov. 12, 1864, p. 3
https://www.newspapers.com/clip/16881547/top_dog/
Deputy Marshal Dickinson in an effort to stop the melee caught one of our
hands, and held it while waiting for some one to remove the top dog in the
fight.
----

--bgz