[Ads-l] Schnatter

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Thu Jul 12 04:18:45 UTC 2018

> “Colonel Sanders called blacks niggers”

Was there a reason for his first referring to lynching, then claiming that
the Colonel used the magic word? The same has been often said of a number
of illustrious figures in American history, ranging from every old-school
Southern Democrat to such new-school Southern Democrats such as Harry
Truman and Lyndon Johnson.

> "Simply stated, racism has no place in our society."

Yeah, right.

On Wed, Jul 11, 2018 at 7:32 PM victor steinbok <aardvark66 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> As fun as it may be to pile on the John of Papa John (and Deadspin
> enumerates the sins), the latest "controversy" is a bit misguided. Judging
> just from available snippets, we appear to have stepped, once again, into
> use vs. mention dichotomy. In this case, even the mention might well have
> been ill-advised, but most headlines/stories report that Shnatter "used the
> N-word". And, of course, that generates instant offense. (One would suspect
> that his presence on the Board was offensive to begin with but that's
> another story.)
>
> VS-)
>

> https://deadspin.com/pizza-boy-john-schnatter-resigns-from-louisville-board-1827526185
>
> Pizza dipshit John Schnatter reportedly resigned from the University of
> Louisville Board of Trustees Wednesday, after admitting to using the n-word
> in a conference call with marketing executives in May
> <
> https://deadspin.com/papa-john-made-some-people-mad-after-allegedly-using-th-1827510327
> >
> .
>
> Schnatter emailed a statement to ForbesWednesday
> <
> https://www.forbes.com/sites/noahkirsch/2018/07/11/papa-johns-founder-john-schnatter-allegedly-used-n-word-on-conference-call/#6d8be8ce4cfc
> >
> afternoon
> in which he confirmed reports that he’d referenced lynching and said
> “Colonel Sanders called blacks n–––s” during a conference call, comments
> that offended multiple individuals participating in the call:
>
> "News reports attributing the use of inappropriate and hurtful language to
> me during a media training session regarding race are true," he said.
> "Regardless of the context, I apologize. Simply stated, racism has no place
> in our society."

-Wilson
-----
-Mark Twain