[Ads-l] "insane" as a compliment

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Jul 17 15:46:09 UTC 2018

> On Jul 17, 2018, at 11:41 AM, MULLINS, WILLIAM D (Bill) CIV USARMY RDECOM AMRDEC (US) <william.d.mullins18.civ at MAIL.MIL> wrote:
>
> _Los Angeles Times_ 28 Aug 1960 p C49 col 1 [classified ad]
>
> "Several dealers called and complained that my prices are insane -- TOO LOW!”

I would think this is a literal use, as in the old Crazy Eddie (“His prices are insane!”) commercials.  The ones Margaret, urbandictionary, and I mention (and that you can get by googling “That play was insane”) don’t really mean crazy.  A baseball play, or a riff by a drummer, isn’t literally or ironically ‘mentally unbalanced’, but something more like ‘unbelievable, unbelievably good’.

LH