[Ads-l] officer

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Tue Jul 17 22:15:17 UTC 2018

Wow, that's crazy, man, crazy! Even among the po-po, only their equivalent
of a slick-sleeve private soldier is addressed or referred to as "officer."

Dialogue:

A. Excuse me, officer...
B That's "detective," ma'am.

On Mon, Jul 16, 2018 at 7:25 PM Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On April 12, 2008 (ten years ago!) I warned that people were starting to
> designate military officers as "Officer So-and-So," as if they were police
> officers.
>
> Here's the latest - from a semi-highbrow source:
>
> 2018 http://www.filmjournal.com/reviews/film-review-journeys-end :
>  Officer
> Osborne (Bettany), a composed, pipe-smoking, calming figure who is like
> ballast to those anxious souls around him.
>
> He means "Lieutenant Osborne" (in the film _Journey's End_.)
>
> JL
>
> --

-Wilson
-----