[Ads-l] officer

Mark Mandel mark.a.mandel at GMAIL.COM
Wed Jul 18 17:27:49 UTC 2018

On Tue, Jul 17, 2018, 8:07 PM Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> So true. But as a civvy, wouldn't you address any member of the fuzz (gotta
> revive that word!) as "Officer"?

Not if I see and recognize their rank insignia. Understandably, they seem
to appreciate proper address.  One time in NYC there was something
happening on the street, maybe a demonstration or a block closed off. There
was a police car standing nearby, and the officers inside looked relaxed,
so I knocked on the passenger window. The officer opened it and looked up
at me, and I said, "Excuse me, officer"-- then I noticed the triple chevron
pin on his collar-- "I beg your pardon, *sergeant*-- may I ask what's
happening here?" He grinned as he answered me.

Mark Mandel