[Ads-l] fiat (WAS Re: Antedating rainmaker WAS Re: rain = clients (that bring in revenue))

Fri Jul 20 03:17:17 UTC 2018

Benjamin Barrett wrote:
> As an aside, this cartoon has an interesting example of “fiat” (“fiat money”),
> a definition common in modern times in reference to crypto but arguably
> not in the OLD https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/fiat.
> Wiktionary https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/fiat_money#English
> says: Money that is given legal value or made legal tender for money debts
> by government fiat. BB

The OED lists "fiat money" as a compound under "fiat" with a first
citation in 1880. Below are two citations in March 1878. The sense is
unclear in the first citation. The second citation provides a solid
semantic match, I think.

[Begin excerpt from OED – check for errors]
fiat, n.
Compounds C2.
fiat-money n. U.S. money (such as an inconvertible paper currency)
which is made legal tender by a ‘fiat’ of the government, without
having an intrinsic or promissory value equal to its nominal value.

1880   ‘E. Kirke’ Life J. A. Garfield 30   We shall still hear echoes
of the old conflict, such as..the virtues of ‘fiat-money’.
[End excerpt from OED]