[Ads-l] Coordinate STRUCTURE Constraint violated on Facebook

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Jul 20 18:52:13 UTC 2018

Yes, the classic papers are John Goldsmith’s from CLS 21, Part 1 (1985) and George Lakoff’s from CLS 22, Part 2 (1986), with examples like (1) and (2) respectively

(1) a. How many courses can we expect our students to teach and still write a decent dissertation?
     b.  How much can you drink and not end up with a hangover the next morning?
(2) a. This is the kind of brandy you can sip after dinner, watch tv for a while, sip some more of, work a bit, finish off, go to bed, and still feel fine in the morning.
     b.  Sam is not the sort of guy you can just sit there, listen to, and not want to punch in the nose.
     c.  What did he go to the store, buy, load in his car, drive home, and unload?

LH