[Ads-l] Coordinate Noun Phrase Constraint violated on Facebook

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sun Jul 22 00:36:42 UTC 2018

> On Jul 21, 2018, at 4:14 PM, Arnold M. Zwicky <zwicky at STANFORD.EDU> wrote:
>

>> On Jul 21, 2018, at 11:18 AM, Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at YALE.EDU> wrote:
>>
>>> On Jul 21, 2018, at 10:04 AM, Herb Stahlke <hfwstahlke at GMAIL.COM> wrote:
>>>
>>> While this looks formally like a coordinate structure and so should obey
>>> the CSC, "stand by and" is more like "try and," "take and" or "up and"
>>> which have more of a modal function
>>>
>>> You have to take and put this part in first.
>>> I think I'll try and leave early today.
>>> He up and walked out on me.
>>> etc.
>>>
>>> Herb
>>
>> The YGDP page on “try and” does make this point (with citations), and mentions other cases of “pseudocoordjination”, such as “be sure and”, “go and”, “come and”, “remember and”, etc.  But not “take and”, which may be more subject to regional variation.  Thanks for the tip, Herb!
>>
>> I’m not sure if “stand by and” is in this class, and the ones mentioned by Goldsmith and Lakoff that I cited in my previous message to the list certainly seem quite different in that “and” is not used as a complementizer there.
>
> yes, put pseudocoordination aside.  there are still lots of examples of extraction from within the second of two coordinate VPs.  the basic insight, due (I'm pretty sure) to Dwight Bolinger, is that extraction is easy when the two VPs can be understood as describing parts of a single event.  (most commonly, they're two sub-events in temporal or causal sequence.)

Definitely sounds like Bolinger, although I can’t remember where exactly.  I had understood Goldsmith and Lakoff to be looking at it pretty much the same way, although I see neither of them actually cite Bolinger, so clearly a case of GMTingA.

LH