[Ads-l] "... there's just one of them"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Jul 25 18:51:48 UTC 2018

I’m wondering whether this has ever been discussed. I think Chris’s point is a good one, brought out by the following minimal pair:

I’m having a hard time coping after my beloved dog Fido died.  My friends are telling me to get another dog but I could never replace Fido--there’s only one of {him/her/*it}.
I’m having a hard time coping after my beloved car Chad died.  My insurance company says I can get another car but I could never replace Chad; there’s only one of {them/*it}.

(The latter inspired by some insurance company’s commercial about a young woman whose late car was indeed named Chad.)

LH