[Ads-l] Talent

Barretts Mail mail.barretts at GMAIL.COM
Fri Jul 27 16:55:29 UTC 2018

I will take VS’s split hair and sever it further.

Probably unrelated, Min Jin Lee uses this word in her “Pachinko”.

https://tinyurl.com/ybga5fn3 <https://tinyurl.com/ybga5fn3>
“So is the singer really a famous talent?” Yangjin asked.

The problem here is that タレント (tarento) is the normal word for “celebrity” in Japanese, and she uses the word “celebrity” (shortly thereafter, IIRC):

https://tinyurl.com/yby94h63 <https://tinyurl.com/yby94h63>
“Is he really a celebrity?"

In English, “talent” is ordinarily used as a non-count noun with the meaning of celebrity, which makes it difficult for native Japanese speakers to get the correct usage. This non-count usage seems to be what DG and VS are citing. That to me strikes me as normal. In contrast, AF appears to be giving count noun usage ('"talent" for any camera-facing staff member'), and the OED citation is using the count noun usage, which both strike me as jargon.

Non-jargon count usage is nevertheless common. Here are two citations I easily found. However, I read these as being different from “on-air talent” or “celebrity" in that these seem to mean “an undiscovered person of talent”.

https://tinyurl.com/y93amsml <https://tinyurl.com/y93amsml>
She's a talent that we first saw at one of our ID camps.

https://tinyurl.com/y78e3blj <https://tinyurl.com/y78e3blj>
but her growing list of credits as a director shows that she’s a talent to keep track of

Finally, here’s an example that appears to muddy the waters, but the “a threat” portion might be having an effect.

https://tribuna.com/manutd/en/news/1779632/ <https://tribuna.com/manutd/en/news/1779632/>
Ryan Giggs on Marcus Rashford: “He’s a threat, he’s a talent, but one thing I would say is that when he’s not scoring he needs to mix his game up a little bit.

Benjamin Barrett
Formerly of Seattle, WA