[Ads-l] Origin of term curate's egg

Wed Aug 1 00:57:18 UTC 2018

LH mentioned the 1905 citation for "curate's egg" in the OED.

Bill Mullins found and shared a Nov 29, 1900 citation for "curate's
egg", and found an earlier match on May 19, 1896 which he could not
verify because he did not have a subscription to
Britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk.

http://listserv.linguistlist.org/pipermail/ads-l/2015-January/135775.html

John Baker verified the  May 19, 1896 citation in the "Edinburgh Evening News"

http://listserv.linguistlist.org/pipermail/ads-l/2015-January/135776.html

Wikipedia traces the genesis of the expression to a cartoon in "Punch"
on November 9, 1895:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curate%27s_egg

But I have just found a citation dated May 21, 1895 in the
"Huddersfield Chronicle" of Yorkshire, England indicating that the
same joke about a curate served a bad egg at the Bishop's breakfast
table appeared in the humor magazine "Judy" before it appeared in
"Punch".

In addition, a precursor joke about a young religious person served a
bad egg at a bishop's breakfast-table was circulating by 1875.

Garson