[Ads-l] to kneecap

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Thu Jun 7 20:17:14 UTC 2018

That's an unusual oversight from the major dictionaries. (Merriam-Webster
and American Heritage are similarly literal in their definitions.)
Figurative "kneecapping" has been around since at least 1978:

Arizona Republic, May 21, 1978, p. A6
[Syndicated columnist Victor Reisel:] Jerry Wurf, a street orator himself
and now the head of the AFL-CIO's biggest union, the American Federation of
State, County and Municipal Employees, said in effect the administration
had knee-capped the public employees.
https://www.newspapers.com/clip/20762017/kneecapped/

Sioux Falls (S.D.) Argus-Leader, Oct. 18, 1980, p. 3
[Associated Press:] "This forces [Jimmy] Carter to defend his record in the
final days when he'd like to be on the offensive," [Reagan's issues
coordinator Tim] Brady said. "It kneecapped him."
https://www.newspapers.com/clip/20761798/kneecapped/