[Ads-l] Antedating of "sharrow"

Hugo hugovk at GMAIL.COM
Thu Jun 14 20:32:47 UTC 2018

Sharrow (OED: 20 August 2004) is a shared-use arrow lane marking for
bicycles.

Wayne Pein, rec.bicycles.misc, Usenet, 27 Mar 2004:

---

If you are referring to the
http://www.humantransport.org/bicycledriving/index.html

website, I don't believe we have a picture of what has been called the
"Sharrow,"
the Shared-Use Arrow.

Some of us on another list are in discussion about the Sharrow. Our conclusion
seems to be that it is preferable to bike lanes, but should be
laterally located in
the center of the lane so as to NOT mis-communicate to either party expected
bicyclist lateral location.

---

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!original/rec.bicycles.misc/SufSsYYPVbg/55BVapK0T3MJ

San Francisco Bicycle Advisort Committee (BAC) Regular Meeting Minutes, 21
July 2004:

---

   - As to the SHARROW Study (E1) Mr. Gajda reminded the BAC that colors
   have to be approved along with everything else and without CTCDC approval
   the City would be legally exposed.  The BAC has the opportunity to advise
   the Board of Supervisors of our preferences and the Board can then inform
   the DPT.  After being asked of how SHARROW placement decisions are made Mr.
   Gajda responded that the first work is done on bike routes that do not have
   a bike lane.  Class three roadways.  Volumes, speeds, width, collisions,
   especially dooring.  Mr. Gajda warned that the date is based on citations
   in collision data base which leaves out all unreported accidents.  After
   being asked about what items in the report DPT recommends action by the BAC
   Mr. Gajda responded that BAC take action on Policy, Grants, and Funding
   Legislation.  Jerry Ervin(District 8) requested a specific list of where
   the BAC could expect requests for action from DPT.  Mr. Gajda responded:
   SHARROW, Howard Street, Folsom Street, Octavia, Street Surface
   Conditions, Bicycle Parking, Baby Bullets, BART Bike Station, Funding.

---

https://sfgov.org/bac/ftp/archive/BicycleAdvisoryCommittee/sfgov3/archive17d5.html?dept=2030&sub=&year=2004&dtype=2073&file=28823

---

Wikipedia and this has more on the coining by Oliver Gadja:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shared_lane_marking#History
https://www.sfmta.com/blog/how-sfmta-invented-%E2%80%93-and-named-%E2%80%93-bike-sharrow

They also verbed it:

'The lane will not be "sharrow(ed)"'
September 15, 2004

https://sfgov.org/bac/ftp/meetingarchive/archive/BicycleAdvisoryCommittee/sfgov3/archivea1d9.html?dept=2030&sub=&year=2004&dtype=2073&file=28824

'If it's a bike route it needs to be Sharrowed.'
December 15, 2004
https://sfgov.org/bac/ftp/meetingarchive/archive/BicycleAdvisoryCommittee/sfgov3/archive6f45.html?dept=2030&sub=&year=2004&dtype=2073&file=31521

---

Hugo