[Ads-l] Put the kibosh on: Evidence it referred to a whip, #1

Cohen, Gerald Leonard gcohen at MST.EDU
Sat Jun 16 19:52:14 UTC 2018

Once more, outside of Penal Servitude there are several
pieces of evidence that the word kibosh referred
to a whip (e.g. the unambiguous quote in the 1892 book by
French-Sheldon), and since that definition makes perfect
sense in the poem Penal Servitude, why should it not be
accepted at face value there?

EVIDENCE #1:

Two lines from the WWI song Belgium Put The Kibosh On

The Kaiser (in the 2001 book by Max Arthur, When This

Bloody War Is Over, p. 13):

                   For Belgium put the kibosh on the Kaiser,

                   Europe took the stick and made him sore

The kibosh/kurbash was a stick-shaped whip. It was not a whip

with flails.

EVIDENCE #2:

 With evidence #1 in mind, note the comment in a similar vein

written by Thomas Ratcliffe in 1901 (N&Q, 9th  Series, vol. 7,

p. 277; I omit the quote marks):

         …It [kybosh] was also used in the sense of giving a

         hiding. I’ll give him what for! I’ll give him kybosh!

EVIDENCE #3:

Abhorrent, racist rant (Punch, March 15, 1879, p. 113),

which includes the following line:

          He’s off with the 17th Lancers to kibosh the festive Zulu.

The reference of  kibosh here to whipping is made distressingly

clear by the accompanying couplets; see Cohen/Goranson/Little

(2017: 72) for the relevant quotes. I repeat: there is no doubt that

the two words (to kibosh) refer to a beating.

EVIDENCE #4

The 1892 book by May French-Sheldon (title: Sultan

to Sultan) defines kibosh as a rhinoceros-hide stick.  I.e.,

it was a kurbash; kurbashes were made of rhinoceros or

hippopotamus hide.

Very important: The parenthetical comment defining

the kibosh as a rhinoceros-hide stick) in the quote below

appears in the original quote (on page 200):

     Witnessing the event, Hamidi’s kibosh (rhinoceros-hide stick)

     went whistling through the air as he impulsively plunged

     through the stream to chastise the frightened askari.

The kibosh here is clearly the whip usually termed the kurbash.

EVIDENCE #5:

1835 quote: ‘r[a]ise the kibosh against me’ True Sun (London

newspaper), May 15, p. 4/4:

     They say so [make accusations] to rise the kibosh against me

     and my wife.

In this quote and the next one, a German Jew falsely accuses

members of London’s Jewish community of threatening him and

his wife with violence. A kibosh is here being figuratively raised,

and in the next example from the same newspaper story the plaintiff

again mentions the kibosh, this time specifically in the context of being

struck. The kibosh in the latter example clearly seems to refer to a whip.

The iron bar used in clogmaking (also called a kibosh) would fit here

semantically; but the term kibosh in that sense is not attested until 1860,

in the north of England, while put the kibosh on is well attested already

in the 1830s in the south of England.

EVIDENCE #6:

>From the same  May 15,1835 True Sun article : The German Jew testifies

he was struck and specifies the kibosh as the instrument:

     ..and they gets other Jews to give me the kibosh upon me, and it’s

     all the same to me which of the whole set struck me.

EVIDENCE #7

This is the piece of evidence that has generated controversy in the recent

ads-l messages. It is the verse in the poem (ca. 1830) Penal Servitude

(supposedly written by a convict who has  returned from imprisonment

in Australia):

            There is one little dodge I am thinking

            That would put your profession all to smash

            It would put on the kibosh like winking,

            That is, if they was to introduce the lash.

 Doug Wilson sees the term kibosh here as having a general

meaning (stopper). Stephen Goranson, Matthew Little and I

have a different interpretation:  The poet knows his readers are

likely unaware of the meaning of kibosh in put on the kibosh and

therefore promptly clarifies: That is if they was to introduce the

lash.

The kurbash/kibosh was a fearsome instrument of punishment.

 Of course the kibosh here has the effect of being a stopper; but

it developed that meaning only because it was such a fearsome

instrument of punishment and deterrence.

In any case, the other pieces of evidence clarify that the kibosh

is a whip (the kurbash). They really do need to be taken into

 consideration when interpreting kibosh in Penal Servitude.

Gerald Cohen