[Ads-l] womp womp

Barretts Mail mail.barretts at GMAIL.COM
Sat Jun 23 06:27:50 UTC 2018

After Melania Trump wore a jacket written with “I don’t really care / Do U?” (all caps), it seems it was memified to “womp womp". See the last 10 seconds of the video at https://wapo.st/2lt6jgz <https://wapo.st/2lt6jgz>.

This was new to me, but in one of those miraculous moments, I later today saw the expression “womp womp” used by a programmer.

The English Oxford Living Dictionaries, Dictionary.com and Merriiam-Webster do not have this word.

Wiktionary (https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/womp_womp <https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/womp_womp>) has it as "A two-note sound indicating a failure, or the mockery of a failure.”

Urban Dictionary (https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=womp%20womp <https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=womp%20womp>) goes further, providing two contradictory meanings (plus other assorted ones).

Perry Johnson August 15, 2006: A lighthearted phrase that indicates a loss.; A sound of loss heard on a gameshow. (first womp is a higher frequency sound than the second womp)

^MisterJingo^ December 18, 2003: Whatever makes you feel good.

Perhaps the origin of the latter: HungarianHaiku August 17, 2010: The sound dubstep music makes.

Formerly of Seattle, WA
Benjamin Barrett