[Ads-l] Origins of Trump Epithet

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Thu Mar 1 03:52:49 UTC 2018

The phrase first appeared in the Jan.-Feb. 1988 issue of _Spy_ on p. 20:

https://books.google.com/books?id=crbVcpW49wsC&pg=PA20
"Two-month anniversary of the publication of short-fingered vulgarian
Donald Trump's _The Art of the Deal_ (tape-recorded with former journalist
Tony Schwartz)."

...and in the Mar. 1988 issue on p. 42:

https://books.google.com/books?id=ysvbfXayTMkC&pg=PA42
"Was it naughty, for instance, of daily book critic Christopher
Lehmann-Haupt to give a virtual rave review to short-fingered vulgarian
Donald Trump's _The Art of the Deal_?"

...and then many times thereafter.

More here:
https://www.vox.com/2016/3/2/11148356/donald-trump-short-fingers-small-hands-vulgarian

See also the entry for "small/tiny hands" in "Among the New Words,"
American Speech 92(2) (May 2017), pp. 216-7.

https://bit.ly/ATNW92-2