[Ads-l] Origin and evolution of "crisis actor"

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Fri Mar 2 18:28:41 UTC 2018

My Wall Street Journal column this week is on the expression "crisis actor."

https://www.wsj.com/articles/plots-politics-and-the-
meaning-of-crisis-actors-1520008999

If paywalled, try my Twitter link:

https://twitter.com/bgzimmer/status/969625526334828545

I fleshed out Bonnie's earlier research, from the innocuous use of the term
by Visionbox in 2012 to conspiracy theorists picking it up. As I mention in
the column, Jason Koebler of Motherboard has also looked into this history.

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/pammy8/what-is-a-crisis-actor-conspiracy-theory-explanation-parkland-shooting-sandy-hook

Koebler also recently talked about this on the public radio show On The
Media.

https://www.wnyc.org/story/how-crisis-actor-became-part-conspiracy-lexicon/