[Ads-l] killing people and breaking things

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sat Mar 10 14:42:11 UTC 2018

Relevant to "Let God sort 'em out":

1918 _Christian Herald_  (Jan. 2) 609:  We do well in these days to listen
to the words of the Rev. Laughlan McLean Watt, chaplain of the Gordon
Highlanders and the Black Watch....Speaking of the soldiers whom we wish to
welcome back to the church when the war is over, he said:

["]I tell you we soldiers are tired of your divisions at home. We are tired
of your squabbles in the name of Christ. ...There is no bigotry in martial
religion. ...We buried the Baptist, Methodist, Catholic, Presbyterian side
by side and let God sort them out.["]

Notable are the battlefield context, the word "sort" - and the non-cynical
sentiment.

JL