[Ads-l] "Heavy of snow"--Reanalysis, malapropism, or just local weirdness?

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Mar 12 00:16:43 UTC 2018

Not sure how this relates to the taxonomies proposed for similar constructions by Arnold, but this comes from tonight’s weather forecast on our local Connecticut NBC affiliate, referring to the isobar for the third Nor’easter this fortnight, as predicted for this Tuesday:

“If the line moves east, we won’t see as much heavy of snow”

Yes, the “as much heavy” is a bit weird in itself, but what I focused on was the clearly articulated “of” in “heavy of snow”, where I’d have expected (I’d of expected?) “heavy a snow”.  Does anyone find this natural, or at least attested?  There are two hits for “heavy of snow”, but the former is a bit suspect given the random syntax in the post:

https://www.amazon.com/ask/questions/Tx305G9BNDR3WYQ?_encoding=UTF8&sort=helpful
The machine help you thrower snow, so rest your back. it is dependent on how heavy of snow.

http://grizzlyriders.com/forums/grizzly-talk/2422-using-griz-700-plow-snow.html
how deep of snow can the griz 700 move in? This was a pretty good winter in Jersey for snow and how much depends how heavy of snow it is,…

LH