[Ads-l] Sources for "Hooker" Etymythology

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Mar 12 16:15:01 UTC 2018

Shelby Foote's well known "The Civil War: Fredericksburg to Meridian"
(1963), p. 234, asserts it as fact.

The punning designation of Washington's red-light section as "Hooker's
Division" implies that the story arose during the Civil War. Some of those
unfamiliar with the word might well have assumed it had something to with
Joe Hooker.

However, Bell Irwin Wiley's painstaking (and formerly equally well known)
_The Life of Billy Yank_(1952), while mentioning "Hooker's Division," does
not appear to connect it to the general.

JL

JL