[Ads-l] "Sweet Sixteen" - basketball tournament

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Wed Mar 14 19:07:05 UTC 2018

Barry has definitively established that "March Madness" originated in
Indiana, rather than Illinois as is commonly claimed. I wrote about that
here:

https://www.visualthesaurus.com/cm/wordroutes/a-final-four-of-march-madness-lingo/

Interesting that Indiana can also take credit for "Sweet Sixteen" (Barry's
got later Illinois examples from 1935).