[Ads-l] to spark a phone

Barretts Mail mail.barretts at GMAIL.COM
Sun Mar 18 17:57:52 UTC 2018

On 18 Mar 2018, at 10:41, Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at YALE.EDU> wrote:

>> On Mar 18, 2018, at 1:19 PM, Barretts Mail <mail.barretts at GMAIL.COM> wrote:
>>
>> On 15 March, the The Washington Post ran an article that seems to have coined an expression for touching button on your phone so it emits light without unlocking.
>>
>> http://wapo.st/2FJiSRC <http://wapo.st/2FJiSRC>
>> "She found a dating app on her boyfriend’s phone. Then she bought a samurai sword.”
>> by Kyle Swenson
>>
>> According to an affidavit filed by police, the room was dark, and she sparked her phone to see better.
>> ——
>>
>> Much better than “I hit the home button so my phone would emit a little bit of light.”
>>
> I like Lovell's “scared the living poop out of” collocation too.  They sound like quite the couple.  Maybe Javier was inspired by reruns of the old SNL routines with John Belushi as samurai dry cleaner, samurai deli man, samurai lawyer, et al.
>
> LH

That cracked me up, too. Unfortunately the HDAS doesn’t have “living” and the p-z volume is unpublished.

Wiktionary (https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/living <https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/living>) has “Used as an intensifier” for “living”. The OLD doesn’t have this meaning. BB