[Ads-l] Read: "_snap beans_ (string beans)"

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Tue Mar 20 02:04:06 UTC 2018

> During my childhood in eastern Texas: "string beans" had to be strung (!)
prior to cooking     > and eating

Thanks, Charlie!  I *thought* that I remembered that string beans had to be
strung, but I couldn't - and still can't - remember how it was done, So, I
left that out. As far as I can recall with certainty, we chirren snapped
snap beans - we not only snapped off the ends, but also snapped the bean
itself "half in two" - and hulled purple-hulled peas and Anglish peas, but
our grandmother did the "stringing" of the string beans.

> They were the same as 'string beans.'

I was never able to the snap beans from the string beans by taste. And
purple hulls and black eyes also looked and tasted the same, after they'd
been cooked.

But I could easily tell collard, turnip, mustard, spinach, and beet greens
apart, both by look and by taste.

On Mon, Mar 19, 2018 at 2:33 PM, Charles C Doyle <cdoyle at uga.edu> wrote:

> During my childhood in eastern Texas: "string beans" had to be strung (!)
> prior to cooking and eating, whereas "snap beans" (like Kentucky Wonders)
> did not require stringing--just the snapping off of the ends.
>

> --Charlie

-Wilson
-----
-Mark Twain