[Ads-l] "double agent" = "[single] agent" ?

Dave Hause dwhause at CABLEMO.NET
Tue Mar 20 03:47:55 UTC 2018

This simply uses Maddow's transcript to validate Maddow's usage.  The
intelligence officer biographies I've read are pretty uniform:  the person
who openly joins an intelligence agency (CIA, FSB, GRU) as a career
describes himself as an intelligence "officer".  "Agents" are the spies that
an intelligence officer recruits.  For GRU Colonel Penkovsky to have been a
DOUBLE agent, after the CIA recruited him (actually, I seem to remember he
volunteered his services) the GRU would have had to have learned of his
recruitment and used him to give false information to the CIA.  Same for
Skripal.
Dave Hause

-----Original Message-----
From: Ben Zimmer
Sent: Monday, March 19, 2018 2:21 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: "double agent" = "[single] agent" ?

Let's go to the transcript.

http://www.msnbc.com/transcripts/rachel-maddow-show/2018-03-14

"Oleg Penkovsky was a Russian double agent. He was a colonel in the GRU and
Soviet military intelligence. And unbeknownst to the Soviet Union, he was
secretly spying for Britain and the United States."

So far so good.

"...maybe a British or American double agent who was secretly working for
the Russians knew about Penkovsky being this important asset for the
Western allies and maybe some American or British double agent gave this
guy's name to the Kremlin, we don't know."

Seems plausible.

"Fast forward 40 years to 2004, December 2004, and the successor agency to
the KGB arrests another turncoat double agent colonel from the GRU, another
double agent secretly spying for the West while serving in Russian military
intelligence."

That's Skripal, who we've already discussed.

I don't see anything unusual here.