[Ads-l] Brunswick stew 1846

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Mar 20 16:32:49 UTC 2018

Reminds me—I looked up “barbecue” not that long ago because I thought a reference to one in a novel set in colonial America in the mid-18th century (yes, I’m addicted to the Diana Gabaldon Outlander series) might have been an anachronism, but discovered it wasn’t:

OED, _barbecue_ 4a

A large social entertainment, usually in the open air, at which animals are roasted whole, and other provisions liberally supplied. Also attrib. orig. U.S.

1733   B. Lynde Diary 31 Aug. in B. Lynde & B. Lynde Diaries (1880) 138   Fair and hot; Browne, Barbacue; hack overset.
1769   G. Washington Diaries I. 326   Went up to Alexandria to a Barbecue and stayed all Night.
1773   G. Washington Diaries 124   Went to a Barbicue of my own giving at Accatinck.

I knew the connection to Span. _barbacoa_ (which I’m familiar with from Mexican restaurants) but not that this came into Spanish from Haitian and/or an indigenous language of Guyana.  Or the irresistible French folk etymology (or “absurd conjecture”, as the OED sniffs) included at the entry:  “barbe à queue” = ‘[from] beard to tail'

LH