[Ads-l] 1898 Pompey/Portsmouth?, was Play up Pompey (Portsmouth)

Stephen Goranson goranson at DUKE.EDU
Wed Mar 21 10:31:06 UTC 2018

Previously on this list, Pompey meaning Portsmouth, England, especially the Football Club, was noted from 1899.

Here's an unverified OCR snippet that may be from 1898 at British Newspaper Archive, which, perhaps, a subscriber may check:

elf ostball 314 <https://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/viewer/bl/0001019/18980325/110/0007>

... ourselves somewhere handy to Portsmouth, or as oar sailor friends call rt Happy Pompey, where the band playa. This I should think could prove a wonderfully remunerative centre if a good team were got together, and se the proposed club has no league connection ...

Published: Friday 25 March 1898
Newspaper: Woolwich Gazette<https://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/search/results/1895-01-01/1899-12-31?newspaperTitle=Woolwich%20Gazette>
County: London, England
Type: Article | Words: 2023 | Page: 7 | Tags: none

Stephen Goranson
o r i g i n      k i b o s h

https://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/search/results/1895-01-01/1899-12-31?basicsearch=%2Bpompey%20%2Bportsmouth%20football%20club%20-caesar&freesearch=pompey%20portsmouth&notsearch=caesar&somesearch=football%20club&retrievecountrycounts=false&sortorder=dayearly&page=1