[Ads-l] A bacronym named Steve

Mark Mandel mark.a.mandel at GMAIL.COM
Wed Mar 21 15:19:08 UTC 2018

A related question: How old is the backronym itself? The earliest example
in Nancy Friedman's article
<https://www.visualthesaurus.com/cm/candlepwr/back-to-backronyms/> is Ian
Fleming's fictional SPECTRE (Special Executive for Counterintelligence,
Terrorism, Revenge, and Extortion), from 1961. Virginia Apgar developed
what would become known as the Apgar Score between 1949 and 1952, but the
backronym also dates only to 1961.¹

The oldest backronym I'm familiar with is CARE, founded in 1945 as
"Cooperative for American Remittances to Europe" and redefined three times
since then.² Are there any older than that?

¹ The Virginia Apgar Papers (
https://profiles.nlm.nih.gov/CP/Views/Exhibit/narrative/obstetric.html):

By the early 1960s, many hospitals were using Apgar's scoring method. In
> 1961, Dr. Joseph Butterfield at the University of Colorado Medical Center
> in Denver wrote to Apgar with the news that one of his residents had used
> the letters of her name as a mnemonic device for the five scoring criteria:
> A- Appearance (Color)
> P- Pulse (Heart rate)
> G- Grimace (Reflex irritability)
> A- Activity (Muscle tone)
> R- Respiration
> Apgar was delighted with the epigram *[sic]*, and it was rapidly adopted.
> New users of the method (and parents of newborns) often didn't realize that
> the Apgar Score was actually named for a person. As she told Butterfield,
> Apgar was once greeted by a secretary at a Boston hospital, who said, "Oh,
> I didn't know Apgar was a person; I thought it was just a thing!"

² Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CARE_(relief_agency)#History):

   - CARE, then the Cooperative for American Remittances to Europe,[3] was
   formally founded on November 27, 1945
   - In 1953, because of its expansion to projects outside Europe, CARE
   changed the meaning of its acronym to "Cooperative for American Remittances
   to Everywhere".[4]
   - [I]n 1959 CARE changed the meaning of its acronym a second time,
   becoming the "Cooperative for American Relief Everywhere".[4]
   - In 1993 CARE, to reflect its international organizational structure,
   changed the meaning of its acronym for a third time, adopting its current
   name the "Cooperative for Assistance and Relief Everywhere".[13]

Mark Mandel