[Ads-l] Adverb of the day (invented by NYT)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sat Mar 24 04:36:25 UTC 2018

That would be fine if they intended to invent that particular adverb.  Most previous users were happy enough with “sycophantically”.

> On Mar 24, 2018, at 12:02 AM, Dennis During <dcduring at GMAIL.COM> wrote:
>
> The NYT must have meant "sychophantishly".  I understand that they can't
> afford copy editors anymore.
>
> On Fri, Mar 23, 2018 at 11:58 PM, Mark Mandel <mark.a.mandel at gmail.com>
> wrote:

>> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>> Poster:       Mark Mandel <mark.a.mandel at GMAIL.COM>
>> Subject:      Re: Adverb of the day (invented by NYT)
>>
>> And "synchopated" is itself a graphical portmanteau of "syn*ch*ronized" and
>> "syn*c*opated" (graphical because the blend is inaudible). Right, Laurence?
>>
>> Mark

That was my assumption.  Not quite as creative as the “lip-singing” of yore.

LH