[Ads-l] teeming metropolies

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Mar 28 00:44:52 UTC 2018

Aha. And oops—missed Dan’s post.  So not faux then?  I stand corrected, and those responsible for the 20 hits don’t.  I had never actually encountered “metropoles” as a plural, and assumed the worst.  In reparation, I’ll go eat some grilled octopodes.  Of course the weirdest part of “metropoles” is that it looks like it represents a trisyllabic rather than tetrasyllabic word, given the temptation to latch onto those -poles.

LH

P.S.  Actually it looks like the Greek plural would be “metropoleis” rather than “metropoles”, but close enough for (municipal) government work.