[Ads-l] Phrase: Coolidge Effect

Fri Mar 30 08:36:02 UTC 2018

I was asked a few days ago to explore the history of the scientific
term "Coolidge Effect" and the accompanying anecdote. I had looked
into the topic back in 2012 and back then Bonnie Taylor-Blake kindly
helped me by accessing an article via the UNC library system.

Here is a link to the Quote Investigator article:
https://quoteinvestigator.com/2018/03/30/coolidge/

Perhaps a list member can improve on the citation dates in the article.

(1) The term "Coolidge Effect" appeared in a 1963 journal article with
date received of August 18, 1962.

(2) Rooster-hen anecdote appeared in a 1967 book.

(3) Coolidge version of rooster-hen anecdote appeared in a 1972 book.

Wikipedia has an article on the "Coolidge Effect", but the 1955 date
for publication of the "Coolidge Effect" term is wrong. The 1955 date
comes from misreading the analysis given in a secondary source
published in 2000.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coolidge_effect

Garson