[Ads-l] Heard: dialogue

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Wed May 2 20:59:31 UTC 2018

> Yet, nary a soupçon of Black influence. (Such racism.)

It was not my intention to suggest that "between [...] and I" is of black
origin, but only to describe what happened when the attempt was made by
white, middle-class, Catholic nuns to teach working-class, black children
accustomed to hearing and saying "me and [...] is/are..." and "between me
and [...]" that these constructions were not "proper English" and that "you
and I are" and "between [...] and me" were the only correct (hence, formal,
as Jon suggests) constructions.

I regret the lack of clarity.

--
-Wilson