[Ads-l] Rossini Quotation

Sat May 12 17:42:48 UTC 2018

Thanks for your helpful comments about Italian, GAT. I have also heard
remarks in the same family applied to actors, e.g., the actor makes
impressive declamations based on a telephone book.

Here is a version of the statement attributed to Rameau (in Italian)
in 1817. Background: Gioachino Rossini was born in 1792.

Year: 1817
Title: Lo spettatore straniero ovvero mescolanze di viaggi, di
statistica, di storia, di politica, di letteratura, di belle arti e di
filosofia
Publication: Presso Gli Editori A.F. Stella E Comp, Milano
Section: Musica e Parole
Quote Page 153

https://books.google.com/books?id=aFNJC4o3ZXwC&q=%22di+Leida%22#v=snippet&q=%22di%20Leida%22&f=false

[Begin excerpt]
Rameau al contrario dicea: datemi a Gazzetta di Leida e la metterò in
musica. Ciò sarebbe un dire che la musica non può nulla esprimere,
poichè può applicarsi ad ogni proposito e canta ugualmente le nuove
politiche e le pene e le gioie dell'amore.
[End excerpt]

[Begin Google translate]
On the contrary, Rameau says: give me to Gazzetta di Leida and I will
put it to music. This would be a saying that music can not express
anything, as it can be applied to every purpose and sings equally the
new policies and the pains and joys of love.
[End Google translate]

Garson