[Ads-l] Quote: All the couples were triangles and lived in squares

Barretts Mail mail.barretts at GMAIL.COM
Wed May 16 21:58:08 UTC 2018

I wasn’t sure what the squares meant. Here are some citations that clarify that and confirm the sexual meaning of triangles.

1. My English Journey
Sadhan Kumar Ghosh
1961
https://bit.ly/2L3nukq <https://books.google.ca/books?id=EVFBAQAAIAAJ&q=%22+couples+were+triangles%22+%22irwin%22&dq=%22+couples+were+triangles%22+%22irwin%22&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwim6MrimIvbAhVMwFkKHXqYCN4Q6AEIKzAB>

——
The bloom had not gone out of Bloomsbury, although the Bloomsbury group no longer met at 52 Tavistock Square. I recalled Margaret Irwin’s gibe…
——

2. Virginia Woolf in the Age of Mechanical Reproduction
ed. Pamela Caughie
https://bit.ly/2IuTbSl <https://bit.ly/2IuTbSl>

——
The Bloomsbury Squares may be read as ruins on the fault line of cultural change…

Woolf’s relationship to Bloomsbury and the London Squares combined….

p. 13: The spatial historian Sigfried Giedion maps the formation of the Bloomsbury Squares in “The Dominance of Greenery: The London Squares,” reading the formation of the Bloomsbury squares as a sort of _bildungsroman_ of urban planning…
——

3. London for the Independent Traveler
Ruth Humleker
https://bit.ly/2GpOhDX <https://bit.ly/2GpOhDX>

——
Vanessa and Clive Bell lived at 50 Gordon Square, Lytton Strachey at 51 Gordon Square, Leonard and Virginia Woolf at 52 Tavistock Square.
——

Also, https://bit.ly/2wLzc01 <https://bit.ly/2wLzc01>

4. Literary London
Eloise Millar, Sam Jordison
https://bit.ly/2k0ldds <https://books.google.ca/books?id=Bpa0DAAAQBAJ&pg=PT105&dq=%2252+Tavistock+Square%22+%22circles%22&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjY1tvimYvbAhVxtlkKHXruBbwQ6AEIMzAC#v=onepage&q="52 Tavistock Square" "circles"&f=false>

——
the word bugger was never far from our lips
——

Benjamin Barrett
Formerly of Seattle, WA