[Ads-l] "mervert" for WOTY contention

Andy Bach afbach at GMAIL.COM
Wed Nov 7 17:45:47 UTC 2018

> Apparently it’s sometimes difficult to determine if someone qualifies as
a mervert, though:

https://mernetwork.com/index/showthread.php?13823-Mervert-at-my-first-gig-What-to-do-when-it-happens-again

Apparently, it's its own dialect (sort of like Catwoman's), there's
merenthusiast,
"I am very sure that this was not a merenthusiast photographer,
unfortunately."
mertenders (wranglers, helpers - I guess the tail makes dry land difficult)
and merpals.

On Tue, Nov 6, 2018 at 8:11 PM Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at yale.edu> wrote:

> As explained by Stephen Colbert on the Late Show last Friday, a mervert is
> a sexual harasser and/or stalker operating within the merfolk community.
> Apparently mermaids (at least women; I don’t know whether it afflicts their
> male counterparts) who work as mermaids in entertainment venues are
> regularly confronted with unwanted advances from these merverts.  Here’s a
> posting from a thread on users group that references this insidious and
> possibly growing problem:
>

> https://mernetwork.com/index/showthread.php?8927-A-Guide-to-Unwanted-Contact-Merverts-Trolls-Collectors-and-more-with-list
>
> A mervert, as defined here, is
> "a person who utilizing social networking or email, contacts people in the
> mermaid community with sexually explicit messages that are not consensual
> or welcomed, projects their fetish onto an unconsenting party, solicits
> minors or children in an inappropriate way, and is typically doing this
> behaviour to many people in the community. Though sometimes they make pick
> just one.”
>
> Apparently it’s sometimes difficult to determine if someone qualifies as a
> mervert, though:
>

> https://mernetwork.com/index/showthread.php?13823-Mervert-at-my-first-gig-What-to-do-when-it-happens-again
>
> Do we still have the Least Likely to Succeed/Most Unnecessary category?
>
> LH

Andy Bach,
afbach at gmail.com
608 658-1890 cell