[Ads-l] Antedating of the Term "Ragtime"

Andy Bach afbach at GMAIL.COM
Wed Nov 7 19:30:08 UTC 2018

> Is there evidence that a rag dance was played in ragtime?

Interesting snippet from "Out of Sight: The Rise of African American
Popular Music, 1889-1895"  By Lynn Abbott, Doug Seroff
https://books.google.com/books?id=kPJZTJtz1IwC&pg=PA444&lpg=PA444&dq=%22rag+dance%22+music+french&source=bl&ots=_aSoY7WTBO&sig=Nfb7-3JZkvTzNAdWwWLo9IuxtAc&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiJ_d3j_cLeAhVLpFkKHYpJCJMQ6AEwC3oECAcQAQ#v=onepage&q=%22rag%20dance%22%20music%20french&f=false

It has a couple of 1890ish quotations, one of which is decrying the
modernization of "rags" to now be much more refined - from the Leavenworth
Herald, 11/2/1895:
The old time "rag" dance is dying out.  Nearly every thing which is done
nowadays is called "Modern," which means that a thing is not near so good
as it is when done in a way to designate that it is ancient. ... it is much
more interesting and amusing to see a coarser pair of individuals doing the
Mobile buck, or the wide open shuffle, or the pigeon wing, or the break
down. Before we die we want to attend a country "rag" dance and see the
people "chasse," "balance all," etc. We want to hear the caller, we want to
hear the patting of hands, and then we will die happy

Sort of sounds like the "rag" is akin to a square dance, at least with a
caller.  It goes on to quote Irving Jones who claims to have written (that
is published sheet music for) the first syncopated music "Pas Ma La Dance"
in 1893, which was cited as having a few "measures of real ragtime scoring"
in it. Also quoted: "They All Played Ragtime" essay by Rupert Hughes (oft
cited by ragtime historians)
"    Negroes call their clog dancing "ragging" and the dance a "rag" ...
[T]he dance is largely shuffling.
      The dance is a sort of frenzy with the frequent yelps of delight from
the dancer and the spectators, and accompanied by the latter with
banjo-strumming and clapping of hand and stamping of feet.  The
banjo-figurations is very noticeable in the rag-music and the division of
one of the beats into two short notes is perhaps traceable to the
hand-clapping."

afbach at gmail.com
608 658-1890 cell
608 261-5738 wk